Deer in the backyard

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
kyrontf
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Deer in the backyard
In reply to cplunk, May 23, 2012

cplunk wrote:

I like the mighty hunter!!! That's one big cat. Has it ever done anything to the deer other than look?

Actually, she's a pretty small kitty! The deer is small too though. While she does like to stalk them, the cat is friendly with the deer and has come nose-to-nose with several of them in the past - still waiting to be there at the right time with a camera in hand.

The deer in my yard don't seem to mind it being cut lawn with the grass only 2-3 inches long, I think it gives them a sense of security that nothing can sneak up on this hiding in the grass. It also gives me a better background to contrast against, along with a nice clear view with 300mm. When I move around them to change the backdrop, they often get a little weary of me, probably thinking I'm stalking them.

They still seem to find something interesting growing in there to eat. And they get a selection of old apples thrown out on occasion.

The tall grasses and shrubs seem to be a favorite with the deer, which is one of the reasons we keep them around. It does make it hard to get good, uncluttered angles when photographing the larger visitors, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow