Forum ProPosts: 43,517Gear list
Like?
Re: One of the comments
In reply to Don_D, May 23, 2012

Don_D wrote:

Chato wrote:

Don_D wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.

As much as I deplore the criminal cutting of this tree, once it is down it's best use is for lumber, fencing, whatever. The use of this lumber just might prevent other trees for being cut down to provide the same wood.

A doubtful proposition...

Why....there's not an unlimited demand for wood.

Wood demand is growing, and for all practical purposes unlimited. One might as well argue that poached Ivory should be sold - After all the elephants are already dead.

Even if the impact is minimal is justifies crime.

...and by the way, cedar is used for fence posts because they last a very long time, the insects don't like to chew on it because of the oil in the wood.

As a wild mushroom hunter, I have GOT to disagree...

This after all IS a park, and not a resource for wood chippers running short on pressed board.

"Eastern red cedar is soft, red, fine-grained, fragrant, and decay-resistant, often used for fence posts." ...... OK, maybe there is a difference East and West...

Still..."Western red cedar is soft red-brown, aromatic, decay-resistant, used for outdoor construction, shingles, and guitar-making".

Wouldn't you like to see a fine guitar made from this prized wood rather than have it rotting away?

It's a bit far, but the "Forever wild" forests in NY State would be great for mushrooms I imagine.

I get very belligerent over my Mushrooms...

Dave
--
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow