Now I've had the E-M5 I've drawn some conclusions

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
John Brawley
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Now I've had the E-M5 I've drawn some conclusions
In reply to Kurt Petersen, May 23, 2012

Kurt Petersen wrote:

John, you make comment about the omission of a 24/25 fps option on Oly cameras. Obviously as a dedicated Cinematographer this is important to you, and it would be better to have more options available. For the casual video shooter however, here in Au with a 60hz power cycle, how much difference does it really make?
--

AU has a 50Hz power cycle, not 60Hz. So does most of the world in fact. It's only Japan and the US that have 60Hz.
That's why they have their own frame rate. 30 Fps.

Any 50Hz discharge lighting source will flicker when shot at 30 FPS, no matter the shutter speed.

That means any fluro light, a lot of street lighting, signs, some LED lighting. Will flicker.

So there's the selfish myopic idea that frame rates doesn't matter but they most certainly do.

Any camera shooting in a 50Hz power environment ( i.e anywhere that isn't the US or Japan) should have a 25 FPS option

Many would also argue that viewers can perceive the temporal difference between 24/25 FPS and 30 fps. I agree with that notion. It just looks different.

24FPS is nice because there are well established ways of converting from 24 FPS to either 25 FPS or to 30fps, but more importantly, it's been the cinema standard frame rate for nearly 100 years.

Means you could shot with the OM D for a cinema release and not have the images buggered up by converting them from 30 FPS to 24 FPS.

Panasonic Do it.
Canon certainly do it and this was the other reason the 5Dmk2 took off.
Even Nikon do it now....

jb

-- hide signature --

John Brawley
Cinematographer
Sydney Australia
http://www.johnbrawley.com
http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/

John Brawley's gear list:John Brawley's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow