ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aquarta
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Shooting the D800 at 20 Megapixels...
May 23, 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm one of those people who would like to purchase a full frame camera and have no allegiance to either Canon or Nikon.

I've read both reviews here on DPR, I went to a local camera store and held both of them and took images from both and stored it on my SD card for review but still having a rather difficult time deciding.

My initial thought is to get the Canon. It felt good to hold and feel, the menu and ergonomics were great, etc... basically it's a versatile camera for whatever... Landscapes, sports action etc... That seemed most appealing.

However, I can't justify the price. I just don't see the value. When I asked the Canon rep she really didn't have an answer for it.

On the other hand, is 36MP really necessary for me? Don't give me wrong, the detail is absolutely jaw dropping, absolutely phenomenal. However the file size ranges on the high end.

I guess my question or if others can chime in.. If I don't need 36MP and I don't want to spend $500 more, would it make sense to get a D800 and just shoot at 20MP? I know it sounds dumb but so doesn't paying $500 more.

What would I be gaining or losing if shooting at 20MP on a D800? Granted, throwing out MP would generally mean losing detail but would there be anything else that may also be impacted? For example, ISO? Noise?

It's bizaare thinking but I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way or has pondered this...

Many thanks for your comments and replies.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow