To any M9 & X1P owners - my dilemma

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
Re: To any M9 & X1P owners - my dilemma
In reply to steveleicaman, May 23, 2012

steveleicaman wrote:

Larry - it's a shame you feel that way. I think you have misread my post. In essence, if I sell my M9 and move to the XP1, will I miss the IQ of the M9 or is the Fuji close enough?

From comparisons I have read, the XP1 should match or exceed the M9 in image quality at any given ISO setting. The higher the ISO the more it will exceed, evidently. Pixel peeping an XP1 test image shot at ISO25,600, it looks slightly less noisy than that of my D700.

Fujinon lenses are not well known in the consumer/enthusiast marketplace, but are highly respected in the industry for medium and large format photography as well as cinematography. These X-mount lenses are in every way industrial-level Fujinons. Results from both my X100 and XP1 are remarkably sharp. Normally, I stop a fast lens down but I have been shooting at f/1.4 with the 35mm lens and both sharpness and contrast are better than any other fast lens with which I have shot, including the Leica Noctilux f/1.0 and Summilux f/1.4 lenses.

The first camera an employer handed me was a Leica—a very long time ago. I used them during a long career as a working photographer. They did the job. However, had digital not come along when it did, I was ready to dump my personal Leica equipment for a Contax G2. The XP1 is very much what a digital G2 would have become, so I am totally pleased with the experience. None the less, many Leicaphiles would not have even considered the move. It would be very much the same with the M9 and XP1. I could not be more pleased, but I can not speak for you.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow