Has anyone regretted buying Sigma 50mm f/1.4

Started May 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
canon is better myth......
In reply to cambomj, May 23, 2012

For some reason if Sigma produces something not optimal it gets press, if a lens is challenging to focus and is a Sigma it gets press, if the lens with a problem is a Canon lens, it gets less press.

You could run a thread on "Does anyone regret getting a Canon 50mm f1.2 L" and you should get some negative feedback. How about "Does anyone regret getting a Canon 50mm f1.4," you should get lots of negative feedback - this lens has a history of breaking down.

And the original 18 - 55 Canon kit lens that came with the Original Digital Rebel didn't ring of quality. I could go on but if you hang around dpreview you'll be surprised at some of the problems folks have with Canon lenses and cameras as posted by dpreview members. I'm not knocking Canon, I own three Canon DSLR's and a number of Canon lenses

Then there is the Sigma has a "yellow" cast myth which I've read here many times over the years. The first thing I do is to challenge the poster to supply images to back up the claim, so far not one. Sigma's may have had a yellowish cast decades ago but I can't see it anymore. I own the Sigma 50 and 150.

Canon has some great, excellent lenses, I'm not really challenging this, but I am saying Canon lenses have their problems as well.

So have some folks experiences been negative with the Sigma 50, the answer is yes, but it also yes to people's problems with the Canon 50 f1.2, f1.4, f1.8 - so there you go, what's a person to do?

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow