Request from DPR - attention Andy Westlake

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Request from DPR - attention Andy Westlake
In reply to Vulcanrider, May 23, 2012

Vulcanrider wrote:

I posted the following on page three of another thread. I am re-posting here as it deserves greater visibility.

Andy,

Our entire photo community would benefit from a definitive article prepared by the DPR staff on m4/3 versus 35mm equivalence, dof, sensor size, etc, etc. If you read through the posts on any given day you'll recognize the need for a thorough and comprehensive statement of these principles.

Said article would be generous in use of graphics and illustrations and suitable for the beginner and advanced student. Further, it would lead us from general physical principles to the specific case m4/3, APS-C and 35mm. We are aware that the information and knowledge base is available, but DPR is in a unique position to assemble and reproduce this material in a systematic, comprehensive and approachable discussion.

Please present this idea to your editors and ask them to fund and produce this product.
My very best regards,
Alan Mitchell

To a degree, I understand where you are coming from. But.

Would this involve DPR itself in a self destructive spiral? Since the context and especially semantics, are very complex and easily misunderstood by both "sides"? Even when both sides are talking about the same thing, one small difference in terminology seems to create a hostile attitude, which just devolves. Would DPR becoming involved, just widen the battle? that many feel exists?

Myself, while I try to understand what others say, am quite happy with M43...since I find the IQ is good enough for me. It's handy, doesn't break my shoulder...and where else can I put a sharp 270mm EFL 2.8 on my camera for 50USD. Or a 100mm EFL at 1.4 for around same price? I don't care when I'm using them, what they are equivalent to...the format is good enough for me. So I'm happy. Be driven by your own internal reasons, not by external? Are we truly herd animals? Or can we think and discover for ourselves?
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@JoeNew
Heh!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow