Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,059Gear list
Like?
adios X-100
May 23, 2012

Sold my X-100 yesterday. I'll try to keep this short. My first camera was a M-3 knockoff. A true rangefinder camera. It had a fixed 48 mm lens, no auto exposure or auto focus. Turn the focus ring watch the ghost image line up. Simple, fast, effective. My second camera was an SLR with a removable pentaprism and a shade for a waist level finder. These cameras are the foundation of my photographic education.

Fast forward to now. The X100 held out the promise of an experience similar to my first camera. It failed in that regard. It's impossible to actually focus manually. Of course, there are the modern workarounds. The auto focus is slow and not very reliable. Frustrating. Image quality is awesome. Not one complaint. Love working with the output in Lightroom.

I replaced this quirky camera with a Sony Nex-7. If you knew me at all, you'd consider this ironic as I'm a long time Sony basher. This camera changed my opinion of Sony. I get the oled viewfinder and a waist level finder in a very compact lightweight device that has twice the resolution of the Fuji for about the same money. Did I mention the very fast contrast detect auto focus? And, with a low cost adapter, I can mount my Canon glass.

Sorry Fuji. You started out on the right track but wandered off course with your goofy focus system.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-
200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Fuji X-100. Coming Soon: Sony Nex-7

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow