ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joeybob
Contributing MemberPosts: 533Gear list
Like?
Lighting suggestions ?
May 23, 2012

Hello and thanks ahead of time!

I am looking for some suggestions/advice/tips - anything as I have been asked to do a shoot in a lovely location but I'm a little perplexed as how to best "light" the model...

Here is a shot I took several years ago of the location:

It's a waterfall about an hour & 1/2 north of Pittsburgh in a state park. The model that I'll be shooting wants some bikini shots with her at the base of the falls. That alone presents some challenges like: water temperature, depth of the water, flow over the falls, time of day/amt of light - etc but I am familiar with the area and these falls so I believe I'll be able to handle those issues...

What I'm looking for here is suggestions on how to best light the model AND capture some movement of the falls... I've never attempted to do a shoot like this where I'm hoping to capture some movement of the falling water with a slow shutter speed while at the same time capturing a person in the frame without overexposing... I'm thinking I may need to experiment prior to doing the shoot with some neutral density filters, maybe rear curtain flash... etc?

And that's what I'm looking for... Has anyone here ever done a similar shoot capturing both a model in this type of setting with a slow shutter speed?

I shoot with Nikon gear: D300, Nikon flash guns SB 600/800, variety of lenses and a slew of Alien Bee strobes/modifiers etc...

I'm thinking one light source to keep things simple, maybe a B800 through a diffused 22" beauty dish with a boom (held by an assistant) or thru a large umbrella. Triggered w/cybersyncs, powered with a vagabond. Camera on a tripod of course...

Any suggestions/input/advice welcomed.

Thanks!

joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +30 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes,New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow