D800 examples from D700 users's perspective (180 2.8, 50 1.8D)

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,759Gear list
Like?
D800 examples from D700 users's perspective (180 2.8, 50 1.8D)
May 23, 2012

Picked up the D800 today. I'm still working on how to get the most out of these files, but I can say this, personally:

1) We already know about the need for high-resolution lenses to maximize pixel-peeping-potential - what we also need to talk about is processing . I'm finding that my usual sharpening and PP routines need to be pumped up a bit, and that the D800 allows much more headroom in both sharpening and NR, at the same time. With the D700, I could sharpen a bunch, but not apply too much NR at the same time, or vise-versa. The D800 takes me up a bit higher with each.

2) " Handheld won't cut it any more " assertion is mostly false (as I suspected it would be.) If you feel shutter-speed constrained, bump ISO and continue to handhold. The files hold up very nicely to NR, as the noise is finer-grained.

3) Good/great lenses on the D700 are still good/great on the D800, and every lens will resolve more - how much more depends on if it's a great, or just good lens.

4) Working with these files isn't as painful as I feared it would be, but they do bring a slowdown to your workflow.

5) I'm finding that motion blur is a bigger threat to IQ on this sensor than one more stop of noise - a very welcome discovery

6) Flickr's changes suck. Color posterization, slight detail muddling - Perfect timing for me, start sucking when I need them the most for detail retention (Grr!)

I'll post more shots & thoughts as I get more time in with the camera. Below is the first set.

About the 4th snap I took with the camera - 50 f/1.8D wide-open , a tad softer than f/2.8, but still impressive - no AF problems that I can detect, no AF adjust needed with the three lenses I tried:

( he's tired of modeling! )

Crop:

Below is the 180 f/2.8 AF-N , wide-open, handheld, ISO 560. A lot of the portrait shots you've seen have been tripod, studio lighting, f/5.6, f/8, ISO 100, etc - I'm very, very happy with these "real world", handheld results:

Crop:

Now, below is something I have a harder time doing with the D700 - get detail at distance, at less than ideal ISO, wide-open - the detail just doesn't hold up to NR as well as this:

180mm f/2.8 ISO 1600

Larger, desat - the individual hairs at that distance, the wrinkle pattern in the clothes - tougher to do at f/2.8 with that lens from that distance at ISO 1600 on the D700:

More examples, all f/2.8:

f/2.8 ISO 320

Crop:

ISO 900:

ISO 1800

Below is about a 40% crop, f/2.8 ISO 1000

Larger:

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow