Canon EOS 5D Mark III review published

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 = better camera, Sony = better sensor, Nikon = ???
In reply to ultimitsu, May 23, 2012

ultimitsu wrote:

Press Correspondent wrote:

Nikon = clever marketing

no, nikon = clever engineering. avoid ones own weakness and concentrate on strength.

You must be smoking mushrooms! Have you seen how horrible the interpolated Live View is with skipped lines on D800? I was ready to switch, but this was a deal breaker for me, as I use Zeiss and would rely on Live View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSALyicAdj4&hd=1

canon is the clever marketing winner, how else do you get people to swallow worse IQ for extra 500 bucks?

Before you "swallow" any IQ, you need to get if first. Read the D800 review, it is very difficult to get full 36 mp out of D800. Especially so without the Silent Mode or real Live View. The advantage of the Sony sensor will not be used by 99% of users in 99% of cases, but if your photography requires it, then by all means, it is a blessing that such a camera is available. If you can get it this year. And extra $500 is irrelevant. I would gladly pay $4,000 for 5D3 with the Sony sensor rather than getting inferior D800.

The way I read the reviews is that, aside from the Sony sensor, Canon is superior I'm many ways.

but it is the sensor that makes the stuff you keep in the end of the exercise, not the LCD screen, is it?

No it is not. The sensor is completely irrelevant if your images are blurred. I would much rather prefer sharp 22 mp than blurred 36. The difference in print is only a quarter of the size anyway.

Even aside from the the sesnor, D800 is equally superior in many ways, like others have pointed out, much more useful spot metering and auto-iso and better video codec.

I need a photo camera, not a camcorder. Could not care less for video in any form. And 5D3 has no metering problem, but it has important functions Nikon does not.

But I use manual focus Zeiss lenses and the castrated Live View in D800 just kills it for me. What is the use of the extra resolution, if the body cannot focus?

why would you think you cant focus without LV?

This is a constant pain I can avoid with Canon. The fact that Nikon does not have Live View is not a reason for me not to use it.

I know at the least 3 people use manual focus very often with D3 and D700, they dont have any problem letting the red dot in OVF do the focus check for them, all 3 are pro wedding shooters, who shoot 500+ frames a day easily.

Good for you to be in a good company, but sorry, it means nothing to my photography. You may as well see dead people for what I care

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow