New raw converter from PictureCode (makers of Noise Ninja)

Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lita
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
New raw converter from PictureCode (makers of Noise Ninja)
May 23, 2012

Hi:

I fell upon this article at Rob Galbraith's website on the comparison between the D800 and D800E:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11676-12555

He speaks about the 2 raw converters he has used for the comparison, one of them being "PictureCode Photo Ninja", in what Rob calls "private beta testing".
Doing a bit of research on the net, I came up with this post, here on dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=40647202

where Mr. Jim Christian, the founder of Picture Code and registered at dpreview under PictureCode expounds a little bit on the PictureCode Photo Ninja project.

I found this doubly interesting. One, I have used Noise Ninja for a number of years, both with film scans and digital captures with invariably great results. I am still impressed with this software. PictureCode has real expertise in noise removal. Two, if PictureCode can develop raw software good enough to compete with Nikon Capture NX2 v2.3.2, it means there are pretty good at this also. Now if you add the two together, great raw processing and great noise removal, euh... does it not ring a bell for us Sigma users? SPP does what it can, but it is still inadequate and we have with the SD1 some serious noise issues (sorry, but I do find them serious).

I did write to PictureCode to tell them about this situation, but I thought that a concerted effort writing to PictureCode as a group might help convince them to include x3f processing, which could be a real boon. Now, it could be that PictureCode has already included x3f files in its raw converter, I have no way to know, but I think it is worth a try anyway.

What says you?

Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow