Started May 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,804
Like?
Show you great NOISY picture
May 23, 2012

With modern cameras we seem to strive for supremely clean high ISO shots - we seem to demand that the ISO 12800 shots are as smooth and clean as ISO 100 - all in the name of "Image Quality". The D3s is our modern idea of "smooth high ISO".

On the other hand, is noise really bad? Are there photographic subjects and styles of presentation in which noise is a perfectly acceptable attribute of the image? I, for one, virtually never use noise reduction no matter what the subject is - I prefer the entire image to be sharp (even the noise). Here are a few (all be it old) examples in which I think noise does not detract from the image, and, in some cases, actually enhances the art quality.

No only that, adding noise can sometimes make the image appear sharper. Simply take a slightly out of focus image and carefully add noise in Photoshop - the visual effect is to make the appear sharper. This is an interesting psyco-visual effect.

Post your noisy image and support my thesis - or, if you wish yell at me that I am wrong.

Even a Leica shot.... 35mm F2 lens ...

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow