OM-D Sensor Dust

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304
Like?
Re: Wait a minute!
In reply to Pikme, May 23, 2012

Pikme wrote:

I wouldn't do ANYTHING with what you are seeing. You'll find that m4/3 does best at larger apertures, so you probably won't see any of that when you are shooting. You are probably worrying about 'theoretical' dust at this point.

Go take some shots that include smooth areas (sky) at normal apertures (f5.6-f8) and see if anything shows up - at normal viewing, not extreme auto levels. If nothing shows up, then stop worrying about it and leave it alone.

You will always find spots using the procedure you have used, but they don't matter.

A camera that's only used at its best apertures is a pretty sad camera.

Photography is all about compromises, and sometimes they swing in unexpected directions. Just like people sometimes use f/1.4 (certainly not a high image quality setting a lot of the time) they will also use small apertures with lots of diffraction.

I like how this Four Thirds f/22 shot came out myself:

Had I used a safe "high quality" aperture the fireworks would have come out as mostly white with tiny coloured edges, a look I don't personally like. I didn't own any ND filters back then.

A lot of the time low image quality is what makes the image you want possible.

My SLR is incredibly dust-resistant but if it ever gets dust visible at any aperture I'll clean it, since it will show up in my pictures before long.
--
http://flickr.com/photos/iskender

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow