Received D800 yet from B&H?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom_Bruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Not me yet 2/7
In reply to rrichie, May 22, 2012

rrichie wrote:

I cancelled mine and ordered with local Ritz store last week on Friday. Today i got the shipping confirmation and tracking number.

Paid the tax though sigh

Likewise here. I ordered on Feb 7 at B&H, at 9:30 AM EST. After months of frustration I walked into a local Ritz Camera store and placed an order, and the D800 shipped 10 days later.

Then I called B&H and cancelled, on May 15. On that day I was told that there were still over 200 orders ahead of mine. By Friday, Feb. 10, B&H already had nearly 4.000 pre-orders for the D800. Anyone masochistic enough to wait out that line may have quite a while to go.

Small local stores have a big edge over B&H, because US laws on fairness of distribution of imports dictate that the small stores get equal shares of stock. Thom Hogan pointed this out a couple months ago, which was what prompted me to give it a try. It worked. Thom was right. Yes, I paid state tax, but for me it was worth it to get the goods. Plus I was really impressed with Ritz. I'll buy from them again.

And, oh yeah -- the camera is amazing! The detail! The blades - of grass!! It's like the difference between a really good TV with a Sony Trinitron tube vs a high-def flat screen plasma display. It feels like you can walk into the scene. Instead of representing the scene, it's like opening a window into your yard or wherever.

Best luck, wherever you get yours. And then enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Tom B

Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow