Flat view
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427
Like?
Ken Rockwell compares 5d3, d800, d800e
May 22, 2012

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Under "20 May 2012, Sunday," Rockwell writes:

"To be honest, my D800E is nice, but my Canon 5D Mark III is even better.

The D800 and D800E are steps backwards from the D700, just with more pixels, while the 5D Mark III is a subtly huge improvement over the Mark II. Canon finally overtook Nikon on this one; I still need to update my reviews to hand the BEST DSLR trophy to the Mark III. I prefer using my 5D Mark III over my clumsy D800E, and the real-world images usually look better, too.

36 MP is a goof and has nothing to do with making better pictures, and that — and clairvoyant autofocus — are the only things the D800 and D800E have going for them. My 5D Mark III feels better, shoots better, and makes better-looking pictures overall.

Problem is that 36 MP is a trick. I still need more time to look at more pictures, but at 36 MP, we're getting point-and-shoot image structure from the D800 at 100% at 36 MP, while the D4 and 5D Mark III with more reasonable resolutions look more like real photos. Worse, even the SMALL setting in my D800 is more resolution than I want, while my 5D Mark III again provides the real-world settings I demand.

Take away 36 MP from the D800, and it's less of a camera than the D700."

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow