Do you convert NEF to DNG?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joesiv
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you convert NEF to DNG?
In reply to ThePaleRider, May 22, 2012

ThePaleRider wrote:

Eventually, each old camera's RAW file format will fall off the list of those supported by the processing software, meaning that you will have to run an older version of the processing software if you want to be able to continue to view them or process them.

You think?

It's funny several of my old discontinued cameras still are fully supported by lightroom (ACR) (Nikon Coolpix5000 from 2002 for example).

The way I understood it is, once a profile has been created and put on the list, it isn't removed. Why would they?

It's actually the other end of the chain that is more concerning, new cameras with that need new profiles, are they supported, and when, and will you be forced to upgrade to the newer photoshop/lightroom to view them.

I used to convert to DNG with my old RAW files since compressed RAW was a feature of DNG and not of older NEF's and panasonic .RAW files, not to mention that newer bodies that I bought were out of "support" for older adobe software. But actually now I don't, I keep them in NEF. I may have to go back to DNG if I get one of the new Nikon bodies though :S since Adobe seems to be forcing the upgrade again...

Kudos to Pentax and such companies for natively supporting DNG as their raw format, thus avoiding such choices.
--
Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Currently shooting: Nikon D3S, D700
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow