"Used" Fuji X10 from amazon warehouse?

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: "Used" Fuji X10 from amazon warehouse?
In reply to superakuma, May 22, 2012

superakuma wrote:

. . .

I am guessing people are returning these due to the white orb problem. I haven't looked deep into the issue of the white orb but from the looks of it on dpreview, it does not look like a major problem. Because of the age of the internet, things tend to be blown out of proportion. Yes it could be an issue but I don't see myself ever taking a picture of a shiny object with a built in flash.

I'd suggest looking a little deeper into the issue because many of the orbs, including some of the largest and most unnatural looking were shot without using a flash of any kind. Orbs can occur in night photos and daylight photos, on metallic and non-metallic objects.

You might be happy with an X10, even those with the orby sensors, but in the age of the internet you're not only going to find some things blown out of proportion, you'll also read many comments that do just the opposite, minimizing and trivializing the orb problem beyond all reason. Personally, I don't find that the warehouse prices are really good deals for this reason. By the time almost any of Fuji's previous cameras have been on the market nearly as long as the X10 has, their prices have dropped substantially. The HS20EXR for example was originally sold for the same price as the current HS30EXR, but it's still available new from several dealers and can be bought for only $289 or less. These same dealers are still selling the X10 for the same price that it sold for when it was first launched last Sept. or Oct., $599.00, so the warehouse price is not too far from what the X10 would be selling for if Fuji allowed its price to drop with time as it has done for its other cameras, and you're not ending up with a brand new camera for that reduced price, and there's some risk involved.

Unless you absolutely need a camera like the X10 right now, I think that you'd be better off waiting for the X20, or whatever Fuji will call the X10's successor. Until then, if you could tolerate a slightly less capable camera, something like an EX1/TL500 would make a lot of sense. Quality build, great lens, excellent images, no orbs, and you can buy them used, in excellent condition, for less than 1/2 the cost of the warehouse deals, 1/3 the cost of a new X10. This is what DPReview wrote last October.

The revival of the enthusiast camera sector over the past few years has been a surprising but welcome development in the industry. The widespread acclaim for the Panasonic LX3 has encouraged other manufacturers to join or re-enter the fray with high-end offerings of their own, resulting in excellent, high-spec cameras such as the Samsung TL500, Olympus XZ-1 and Canon S95.

Now it's time for Fujifilm to play its hand, which it has done with its X10. Conceptually it borrows our favorite features from the two distinct sub-types that have emerged in this category - it takes the fast lens from cameras such as the TL500 and XZ-1 and combines it with the optical viewfinder and extensive controls of the Canon G12 and Nikon P7100.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx10

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow