Nex 5N maximum lens weight allowed before CRACK

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515
Like?
Re: Nex 5N maximum lens weight allowed before CRACK
In reply to andyit, May 22, 2012

andyit wrote:

Hi all, after buying an adapter for my legacy manual focus lenses now when I place my nex 5n on a tripod I'm asking myself if it would crack for the weight.

What do you think is maximum weight allowed by the camera? I've got the same feeling of fear when I hold it in my hands, with the adapter, a teleconverter 2x and a tele zoom attached to it , a combination that weights almost 700 grams. It is not so much in terms of lens weight... but it seems to be so for the nex while you hold it and the lens becomes to be heavy and quite long.

I wouldn't use adapters with tripod mounts on them and in near future I would like to buy heavier lenses...

Well, when do you think it could seriously crack? what are your experiences? thanks

I would assume it can handle the weight of two times the heaviest native e-mount lens available without built in tripod mount before snapping. Currently that would be the 524 g 18-200mm, so it should be OK to around 1000 grams, but it would depend on weight distribution and how it was handled. At 1000 grams you may have no margin left in the design and a light bump may break the camera. If you are hand holding, hold the lens with one hand not the camera with both. If you are on a tripod and getting near 1000 grams make sure the adaptor has a tripod mount. The only way to really know the limit would be to take a few bodies and mount some rods on them and push until something fails. I am sure Sony has done this and used a typical 2X design factor. How much more than 2X it can take or if Sony may have designed it for heavier lenses I do not know. Looking at alpha-mount lenses it looks like around 1000 grams is the transition from including tripod mounts to not doing so. A few lighter ones have a mount and a few heavier do not, so that may be a good line to draw. Of course the alpha mount is for much heavier cameras and might have a higher weight limit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow