Do you convert NEF to DNG?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you convert NEF to DNG?
In reply to konoplya, May 22, 2012

As someone who loved the .NEF container, DNG originally appealed to me, but using Lightroom pretty much took that away. I think the side care file is great because it doesn't mess with my .NEF if I want to open it in NX2. (there is still a part of me that believes there will be an NX3 - silly me )

I also move my files from within LR and have metadata updated, so I am not scared of 'losing' a sidecar file. I completely understand that it is possible, just not something I found plausible in my work-flow and computer use.

Furthermore, as mentioned, storage is cheap.

But - perhaps the most persuasive for me, is having become a NAPP member and discovering a lot of the Adobe pros not using it. And the ones that do, do not point to a convincing argument.

Great idea, good luck and keep us posted.

ThePaleRider wrote:

No camera maker guarantees to support any of their file formats for ever, so it all boils down to how long you want to look at your digital files for. Five years? Maybe ten is closer to the mark, but I doubt whether you will be able to open D800 NEFs in fifteen or twenty years.

This I don't follow...

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow