More mpix does not automatically mean more resolution.

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
Re: More mpix does not automatically mean more resolution.
In reply to dominikov, May 22, 2012

dominikov wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

dominikov wrote:

A $3000 D800 frees you up to buy a lot of glass and do plenty of travel to grab those great shots and still have a bucket of change leftover.

Good advice for those willing to wait a few months to get $1500 or sub $2K D600 or 6D or 5D2 (soon it will below $2K again as in the holiday season last year) which is still a quite capable camera. There is not much difference really if you only print to 30x20" among 21 or more MP FF cameras. Then you can free $1-1.5K to invest in lenses

The 5Dmk2 is an excellent camera and will continue to be for some time. But the D800/D800E delivers larger, sharper files, and the difference in clean shadow detail at low ISO is like night and day. It's not medium format, but it's the closest thing you're going to get south of $10K.

If I had an investment in Canon I'd want the D800 to do well so that Canon offers something similar.

The 5Dmk2's success is the reason a D800 exists. Nikon is usually playing catch up. The 5D was a hit so they built a D700 that was better. Along comes the 5Dmk2. Inferior AF, frame rate and build, but resolution and 1080p made it sell. Enter the D800 3 1/2 years later.

While there is a rumoured D600 floating around....the rumours also mention that it may not have a slotted internal AF motor. As I have some older glass, this lack of AF motor would be a deal breaker for me if I was looking at the D600. For me, I feel I've got the best of both worlds with the D700 and D800....and a Canon 7D for speed.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hey!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow