Pentax comitting to a weather-proof system

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax comitting to a weather-proof system
In reply to boggis the cat, May 22, 2012

I think Pentax does it well under Ricoh. Hoya was not a good fit for Pentax. After all Ricoh has a tradition for making cameras.

The price is VERY competitive. I don't really think it's E-5 that's over priced, but rather Pentax is trying to dig a hole in a market they've tried for very long, but couldn't make a dent. To make the price that competitive, they shaved a few things like no articulating LiveView LCD screen in the back and the exposure display LED on the top. All that saves a lot of costs to make a chassis much more simple to build for weather sealing (less holes to seal and less failure rate, therefore, less built-in insurance factor into the final price of the camera).

What lenses would you guys choose? The new lens is a low-end one (probably Oly SG), but the price is very competitive (I think that's the strategy they have now, before they created enough volume to drive down unit cost and then adventure back into higher price models).

I hope under Ricoh management, Pentax will fix the quality assurance issue. I didn't consider Pentax because of their lenses have higher bad apple rate (many reviewer claim you have to try lenses out as there are some that are front/back focus).

Pentax has a very solid library of pancake lenses. DA* lenses (DA Star, not the regular DA like the new lens) are highly regarded also.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow