Stacking color conversion and polarizing filters?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,194
Like?
Stacking color conversion and polarizing filters?
May 22, 2012

I was part of the thread two or three weeks ago discussing art repro with cross polarization and the thread digressed to tungsten vs flash, and then to the use of tungsten to daylight conversion filters. The theory being that color balancing from 3200K directly in the software would have to push the blue channel more and thus result in a slightly more noisy image than one that had undergone initial filtering.

This sparked in me an interest to try the conversion filter technique against the purely software technique. But my question …

In stacking a circular polarizer with an 80B filter, which filter should go on the outside and which closest to the lens?

My polarizer is of a much higher quality than the 80A, 80B, and 80C filters that I dragged out of my old Billingham film camera bag, so I’m thinking it should go on the outside. But if the filter technique shows any significant gains, I might spring for a higher quality filter.

Brian A

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow