Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
hypervel
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: Airshow snaps
In reply to Air Show, May 22, 2012

Air Show wrote:

Thanks a lot Hypervel ! This is very useful information

During air shows I normally use a 70-200 VR + TC 1,4 on my D300 at speeds generally 1/250s or slower, and the percentage of sharp pictures is far from what you describe with the V1 (Could be old age despite the VR though…:) I'm happy when I get about 10% of very sharp pictures. I can imagine what this combination will be on the V1 ! It will probably allow me to drop the TC 1,4.

As for the ND filters, I read that Marumi are the best for their reasonable price. At least as good as B+W and cheaper. Don't know about Nikon yet.

1/250 or slower and my sharpness rate will drop as well. That's to be expected. Nothing says we have to go for glamour shots all the time.

I did a count last night on the panning strings. About 18 hits per run was average. The only thing keeping me there was the duration of the run and 5fps. I imagine 10 fps could very well yield a higher count, even suspecting the default mode would still play to my favor. Worth trying....on a Cessna. Not for the real shots I'm after.

10 fps is amazing. I really just want a little more control before I commit to shot losses on something I want to get.

BTW, when I ran Canon I was over at the Canon forum. There's a subforum on "transportation" IIRC. There are top-notch players there. Give it a look, doesn't deeply matter what rig you are running. Technique at least rhymes, no?
Those guys run the prop disc notion pretty hardcore.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow