Upgrade from Canon D30 (10D, 20D, 30D, 40D?)

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade from Canon D30 (10D, 20D, 30D, 40D?)
In reply to agorog, May 22, 2012

I looked up the 30D specifications. It has only a 3.1 MP sensor, has E-TTL flash, and uses CF cards and BP-511 batteries.

My first Canon DSLR was the 20D, followed by two different 30D's. I have also had several in the Rebel series, a 50D (very briefly), and now a 60D.

My recommendation for you would be a 30D. Why? First off, your lenses, flash, memory and batteries will work in the 30D. Although you'll probably want to consider more memory.

The second reason for suggesting the 30D is that it's a good deal less expensive than the 40D, and considerably improved over the 20D. The 30D and 20D use the same sensor; but the 30D is the first Canon to use Picture Styles for consistent color from model to model over time, and also has more accurate color than the 20D. The 30D also has a larger, 2.5" LCD, and a spot meter. The 30D also has better white balance for artificial lighting than later models when JPEGs are shot.

Another factor is the 8 MP of the sensor. Back in my film days, I used a slide and negative scanner and experimented with scans at different resolutions. I found that at 8 MP I had sufficient resolution for significant crops for better composition, and still be able to make borderless 8.5" x 11" prints of high quality. So when Canon brought out the 20D with the 8MP sensor and a lower price, I jumped on it. That was followed by the 30D, which I used as my main camera until the 60D. I did try a Nikon D90 along the way; but went back to my 30D.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow