Low light shooting with A57 and A65

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 922
Like?
Re: Low light shooting with A57 and A65
In reply to doctorxring, May 22, 2012

I spent 24hrs with both cameras side by side and for me it came down to my experience level (amateur going on enthusiast) pointing me to the a57 for many reasons, but for this discussion it was the fact that after reviewing a few hundred photos I personally got better low light performance out of the a57 in both RAW and JPG.

I'm very careful in pointing out my experience level because an enthusiast-to-expert level photographer with PP skills can walk away with a better end result after processing a low-light RAW photo from an a65, but at this stage in my development I want to spend more time shooting than processing. In fact, I'm happy with about 75% of the JPGs straight from the a57, especially the ones I have no intention of ever printing.

The only mildly irritating thing for me about shooting low-light with the a57 is that it has the tendency of jumping to ISO 3200 earlier than I'd like it too. Big deal though, it means I now religiously set the ISO myself at night and indoors and keep a better eye on the histogram which in the end will help me to be a better photographer anyway. Others think it's cool that the a57 goes to ISO 3200 in Auto ISO mode so YMMV.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow