Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USD or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8..cannot decide!

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504Gear list
Like?
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USD or Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8..cannot decide!
May 22, 2012

I just sold my Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USD and I'm looking for something with better IQ, and better AF performance.

I have narrowed down my choices to these 2 lenses...which I know are different animals and price ranges... the Tamron is $350 New after rebate and the Sigma is about double in the used market...

I shooting portraits, but also some sports, moving kids, etc.... so I do want good AF tracking, which I think both of these lenses will provide, esp. compared to the Canon micro motor USM on the 70-300mm IS.

Size and weight is not an issue, however I know the Tamron will be more 'stealthy' than the Sigma.

I also considered the 'Magic Drainpipe' as I heard the AF is pretty decent even thought it's not ring USM... but in the end I cannot risk $5-700 on a lens that has no service/repair option...

Anyone else grapple with this type of decision?

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow