"Aputure" Trigmaster Plus vs. Cactus V5 vs Yongnuo

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,119
Like?
Re: Yongnuo trigger shortcomings
In reply to ComputerDork, May 22, 2012

Fair enough. I’d not heard of Aputure prior to your post. Let us know how they work out when you get some time with them.

Don’t take my comments below as rebuttals, but more just for general info in case someone else is pondering all their choices in low-cost RF triggers. As you said, the documentation that these Chinese companies give leaves a lot to be desired.

ComputerDork wrote:

Basically the things about the Yongnuo triggers that I didn't like and would keep them from working for me:

• Most importantly: The transceivers try to auto-detect whether they should transmit or receive, and there would seem to be no sync input for transmit mode other than the hotshoe. This is a problem for me because I want to plug a transmitter into my light meter for "corded" flash metering mode. If this is possible it's not clear from the manual.

• It sounds like the transceiver has to be in the hot shoe on the camera for the remote shutter release to work, if I can believe the manual. If this is necessary, I'm guessing it has to do with this autodetection stuff. I'd rather have manual control over tx, rx, or tx/rx mode as I don't know how these things are autodetecting or what they'll do in various situations.

In my experience, as long as one of the triggers is put into the hotshoe of the camera, any of the other triggers in range will trip all the other triggers. Whether it is a spare trigger in your hand or one already hooked to one of your lights. They will all trigger whenever one of the buttons is pressed.

As for hooking up a lightmeter, I don’t know if that is possible. I would agree that hooking up a 3rd party hotshoe-adapter type of cable would be too janky.

• The output sync connector is a PC connector and I'd rather have a 3.5mm connector since that would work better with the sync cables I have right now.

I’d agree that a 3.5mm sync output would be better than PC. I wish PC connectors would have died decades ago. That said, there are a couple of good, screw-lock PC to 3.5mm connectors available on Ebay for about $5 or $6. For attaching to a monolight, they work well with the 603s.

• Not coming with any sync cables is a problem for me and not a good product decision on their part. They seem to assume that you should always be able to place a flash in the hotshoe when this is obviously not the case all the time. Generally I'd rather not do this in a light stand even if I can.

I don’t know. For about $15 a trigger, there isn’t a lot of cost in there to include a bunch of cables. What sync cables should they include? Just a 3.5mm cable, or a PC cable, or others?

• It sounds like the actual Yongnuo transceiver units differ for Canon and Nikon. Not sure why. The Trigmaster Plus units seem to be the same and only the shutter release cable differs by camera model.

I’m guessing it is the pinout on the hotshoe for allowing iTTL/ETTL passthrough. I know the iTTL doesn’t pass through, but I’m not sure about ETTL. In any case, I’d be interested to know if the two brands could be used interchangeably. I bet they would, at least for the triggering of flashes. Maybe not triggering the shutter.

• Aputure's manual is better designed, the English is better though not perfect, and it describes the specific types of scenarios that I'm concerned about. (For example, it shows the trigger plugged into a hasselblad or something with no hotshoe, suggesting that "sync in" from cameras and light meters should work.) The quality of the English is just important because it shows more effort and inspires more confidence, and reduces the chance of misunderstanding the docs. Yongnuo's manual has not only rather bad English, but the manual is just plain designed poorly in terms of diagrams, organization, etc, in any language. Normally I don't care about the manual, but Aputure certainly gives the impression that they know more about what they're doing, and if somehow the Yongnuo triggers can even do what i want (triiggering by a light meter or anything with no output hotshoe) then I'd never be able to tell from the manual. It still isn't clear to me if the youngnuo transceiver has to be in the camera hot shoe to be used as a shutter release.

As far as I know, yes the trigger needs to be in the camera hotshoe to be the master and to trigger the camera shutter.

So in short, the Aputure Trigmaster Plus units seem like they should do what I want, and Aputure clearly expresses in the manual that they'll do what I need. The Yongnuos dont seem to do what I need, don't come with cables that this type of product is expected to come with, and the manual is so bad and lacking in detail that some things about how their triggers work are totally unclear.

-Suntan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow