P7100 Jpeg engine dissappoints

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
Re: P7100 Jpeg engine dissappoints
In reply to toomanycanons, May 22, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

I never expect the images from any camera I shoot with, jpegs or raw, to be just perfect out of camera. I post process every one I deem worthy.

I think the OP has said the same thing.

KimTeo wrote:

I don't pp these, just to show how far out the colours are.
I pp every picture I take.

Check the pictures I posted in my other threads. You think they are that way without PP?

For myself, I don't expect perfection, but my hope is to be able to find settings such that I like the pictures straight out of camera. When I buy a new camera, it is almost always because it has features or test report information such that I can reasonably expect it to need less post-processing than my previous camera. For example, my Fuji S200EXR does a great job of protecting highlights without needing to underexpose, reduce contrast, etc. (better, in fact, than any of the five DSLR's I've owned), but shadows almost always need lifting to avoid being unnaturally dark. My Ricoh has nice, open shadows, but clips highlights too easily, and its DR mode didn't prove as useful as I'd hoped. I bought the P7100 because I wanted to see if Nikon's application of Apical's tone mapping technology (Active D-Lighting) would get me a good balance of highlight and shadow detail right out of camera (plus I wanted the optical viewfinder, finding both LCD's and even EVF's too often hard to see under bright conditions). It's too early to tell yet, because I just haven't had much opportunity to use it under varied lighting conditions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow