More mpix does not automatically mean more resolution.

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,837
Like?
Well said
In reply to Sharon999, May 22, 2012

Sharon999 wrote:

It's amazing to read these threads, especially from people who don't even own the cameras and download files, upsize and downsize and do all kinds of nutty stuff because they don't really care about photography.

shooting the same scene by our pool with both cameras and with no cropping the prints looked largely the same. The D800 did slightly better with shadows. Then we did a crop of 25%, which is not a lot and typical. We printed again and now the D800 image was clearly more detailed. Did you have to look for those details? Yes. Was the 5DIII print just fine? Yes.

The question is very simple: Would I like my 5DIII to have the option of delivering more detail, especially when cropped and also at higher ISO's? Absolutely. Shooting RAW I see no real world advantages for the 5DIII sensor over the 5DII. But forgetting the sensor for a moment the 5DIII does has some serious upgrades in the body and AF. It's just not enough for everyone. The main point here? 36 is more than 12 or 22. Pretending that Nikon's incredible sensor is some sort of liability is not only sour grapes, but it also devalues the entire Canon forum. Peter has no D800, no 5DIII and clearly no grasp of what either camera can do.

A point well made - all these 'sour grapes' threads just divert away attention from the fact that the 5DIII is a superbly capable camera. It is the true successor to the EOS 3 that many people have been asking for.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hey!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow