A Nikonian seeking basic (wide-ish) prime advice

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
heulwen
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 35mm f2 is a nice lens.
In reply to emeye, May 22, 2012

It is loose (very) but firm (i.e. not flimsy, does not feel like falling apart in your hand, the feeling one has when manual focusing e.g. 18-55 non-IS, or 50 f/1.8 II)

However, it is loose (i.e. not damped at all,) and very short throw, so precise focusing at objects in mid-distance (1 to 3 meters) is very hard, as the movement needed is tiny while the DoF is still pretty shallow, and even a very light touch of the ring will throw it out of focus.

Cannot be compared with any manual focus lens, all of which have much longer throw and much better damped mechanism.

Okay, sounds like most of Nikon's AF-D lenses, and looking at the pictures alone I suspected that might be the case (the AF-S ones are definitely better in that regard). But that would also mean it's not impossible and can be done if one really wants to. And that's quite enough, for a lens "not meant to be" manually focused. Thank you for the information.

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow