Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dorus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,065
Like?
I finally 'get' equivalence
May 22, 2012

it has taken me long time to get to this insight, and looking at the discussions, I am not the only one

What has always mystified me (don't ask me why, as it is so obvious) is the importance of seeing this concept ONLY in the context of the final product. So let's say that I am going to print an 18x24 picture. If I printed that picture from a 35 mm equivalent Full Frame sensor, at an f-stop of 2.8, that picture will have incorporated 4x more light than if it was taken on a 4/3 or m4/3 sensor at the same f-stop of 2.8. Thus, with identical sensor technologies, the FF picture should have better noise performance and better DR (at least if the media of the final product allows to see the difference between the 2, but that is a separate discussion), since 4x more light was used to generate the picture.

So apologies for bringing the equivalency discussion to this forum. But maybe it can help a simple soul or two who like me never reached that final insight.

Btw, I personally think that the recent improvements in sensor technology as well as the continuning limitations of the output media have rendered the whole concept much less relevant than it was just a few months ago.

Dorus

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow