Anybody else using Resized Lossy DNG with thier D800?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ryan Mack
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Anybody else using Resized Lossy DNG with thier D800?
May 22, 2012

Since I don't plan to print 98% of my work at A2 or larger I've gotten into the habit of converting that 98% my D800 RAWs into 18MP Lossy DNGs just after import. That gives me full RAW editing ability with about 9.5MB files on average. So far I haven't seen any visible loss of quality (other than pixel count) from the transformation. Adobe's got a very good JPEG encoder and between picking the JPEG value range intelligently and dithering to avoid banding I'm very happy. It's certainly not lossless, but it's sorta the difference between one very subtle noise pattern and a slightly different subtle noise pattern. Six of one half a dozen of another. Hasn't affected the output files or prints in any visible way for me yet.

Anybody else using this sort of workflow? Anybody actually hit its limits and run into problems with it? My only gripe is I can't select the Lossy DNG option during import, it has to be done during a second pass on the files.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow