Sony 16-50 vs. Tamron 17-50

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
deep7
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 16-50 vs. Tamron 17-50
In reply to tbcass, May 22, 2012

I recently took home an A65 with the Sony 16-50 for a couple of days and shot a few hundred photos with it, before deciding on a Canon 60D and the Tamron 17-50, so have a fair idea how these lenses compare.

Both are excellent at their best and potentially would give indistinguishable images in the strong part of their zoom/aperture range. However, I found the Sony very disappointing at wide apertures and woeful wide open at 50mm, where it just looks out of focus (maybe it was but, if so, I've never struck a lens with such bad focus issues). The Tamron does seem to have some field curvature wide open at 17mm but, even by f4 it's very good (as good as the Sony at f5.6). Coming from some very nice Olympus zooms, neither is excellent wide open but the Tamron is clearly better than the Sony. It is also lighter and cheaper.

The Sony has advantages - it is wider and focus is much quicker and quieter. For the money though, I think it is a big disappointment. I just don't see the point of paying for a f2.8 lens that has to be used shut down two stops! It would be very good for landscapes. Both lenses will focus very close, for what it's worth.
--
Don.

A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow