CaptureNX2 Raw file question

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: CaptureNX2 Raw file question
In reply to dpham, May 22, 2012

dpham wrote:

Hi, I got the few raw files capture by D800 and i try to use the CaptureNX to convert to jpg. The raw file is in 36 mb but the jpg is less than 1 mb? If i use the same setup on CaptureNX and conver the raw file from D90 12mb and i got the jpg in 8-9mb...

I have no clue what you're doing with those Jpegs, but those are huge for email, internet posting or anything much excepting printing. When I save a Jpeg for the Web or email, it's generally something like 800x640 pixels and around 250k in size or there abouts. Sometimes I might go to a 1200x900 at around 600k for some galleries depending on the gallery and aspect ratio I want.

Obviously, you're outputting differently for the two cameras. You might be using a smaller image or using a larger compression to your Jpeg. Just check that out and decide. Those 1 meg Jpegs are probably enough for any use other than printing. For 8x10 printing, you'll want a 4x5 aspect ratio, not the 2x3 the camera produces, so you crop it to that in Capture NX. Leave it large for printing.

I prefer Adobe Elements which includes Adobe Camera RAW for most of my RAW development. I find it much easier and more intuitive to use than Capture NX which I also own but don't use as much. Capture used to do a better job on conversion while Adobe was easier to edit. Today, Adobe has caught up and maybe passed Capture NX in all ways unless you're just used to it. Lightroom also would make a great tool for you. It does all this seamlessly without you having to know much about it. For a novice RAW workflow, I'd use Elements or Lightroom over Capture NX in a heartbeat. Just my personal opinion, of course.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow