Perspective on the 5D3 vs. D800 tempest

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
dodgy...
In reply to Mike Stratil, May 22, 2012

Mike Stratil wrote:

I downloaded the DPR raw studio test files for the 5D3 and the D800 and printed each at 15.1 x 22.65" on an excellent wide-body printer with high quality semi-gloss paper. I uprezzed both files to 300dpi, having to downsize the D800.

The results were very revealing: I found that the 5D3 printout had better tonal contrast (whites were purer) and more vivid color. Most importantly, I could find no area of the printout where the D800's fine detail was better than that of the 5D3.

So for those of us who don't print to really large sizes, the D800's higher sensor resolution seems to convey no real advantage, at least for most types of photography.

It seems dodgy to make such a general conclusion based on a single test using photos that you didn't take and applied resizing to...

If you feel intense D800 envy, you might want to try this exercise. I know that others have made this point before, but there's nothing like seeing the result vividly in a pair of prints in your own hands.

Caveat: this was done with studio photos; I would like to see if the same results obtain with landscape photos. But at the size I at which printed, I doubt we will find a different result.
--
Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow