D4 left AF prob/ Non scientific photo samples ..ARGH!!!!

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lea5
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: Listen Jenella (same problem here with D4)
In reply to jenella, May 22, 2012

I forgot to post the link how to set the focuschart:

http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Follow the instructions.

It is possible after finetuning the lenses the problem is solved, or almost solved. I compared the D4 to my trusty D3X. I shot with both cameras the chart to have a comparison.

It is brilliant camera and I love it very much, but it has some flaws, like the AF module. I can't return my D4 because I need it for my dayjob. I sold my D3 for it and my D3X can't do what my D4 can do above ISO 800. I finetuned my lenses and the results are not that bad anymore, but the problem is still there. I think about to send my D4 to Nikon for repair when I go to holidays.

A really bad thing is when I record videos in FX, 1080p. It's soft, soft, soft and no detail. The only solution to get a sharp video output is in CX mode. This gives me headaches.

jenella wrote:

Thanks for the chart, I will try and post the results too. Yes, the 85mm seems to be one of the worst, my 24-70 which lives on my camera is marginal. The 70-200 seems to perform best. 14-24 is marginal too.

I was originally thinking that I could over look the af problem. Until now I didnt realize how much I actually DO USE the left af.

$6k is just too much sub-par or mediocrity for this gal. Maybe I just got lucky with other DSLR's working correctly right out of the box.
The dynamic range is def improved as well as skin tone.
"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

Lea5's gear list:Lea5's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow