Going from student to professional - building up a resume?

Started May 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OpticalConfusion
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Going from student to professional - building up a resume?
May 22, 2012

I'm currently in college (still have a year or two left) pursuing an Industrial Arts degree, one of which my major focuses has been photography. I'm sort of a hybrid between an engineer and an artist. (But that's another story)

I've learned a lot both on my own and from classes, and feel i'm ready to 'branch out' into the real world and start building up experience. My resume is pretty sparse, essentially. I would go freelance and hunt for jobs (and in fact, I am) however;

• I'm severely limited in what equipment I currently own or can afford (Broke college student budget here, I have at best what i'd consider an entry level consumer DSLR and a few consumer grade lenses)

• Jobs are extremely scarce in my area (Central PA).

So, what I'd like to ask members here; In today's economy and workplace, what advice would you have to someone who sees their future as a professional photographer? Other then the obvious answers like "don't do it" and "It's a lot of work for little reward", if you were in my place, and knowing what you know now, what actions do you think you would take to help brighten your future?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow