NEX5n vs. D5100 vs. D3100

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
JacquesBalthazar
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX5n vs. D5100 vs. D3100
In reply to Catallaxy, May 22, 2012

Yes, you are correct. You can attach the old Nikkors and trigger the shutter on the entry-level Nikon DSLR bodies and get an image on the sensor, even an excellent image if you are good/lucky and the lens performs on expectations optically.

I am okay going manual focus even though the entry level bodies'viewfinders are not comfortable at all for that. I am perfectly okay forgoing programmed modes, and can survive without matrix metering.

But going completely meterless in 2012 is pushing the "retro" enveloppe a bit too far. The V1 has the same limitations, and they get really annoying. Opening up firmware to allow aperture priority or metered M usage on those bodies would be a nice gesture from Nikon.

The NEX (and other mirrorless ranges) does not have those restrictions. Neither do D7000 and "higher".

I share your appreciation for the Nikkor Ai 105mm f2.5 and the Tamron 90mm Adaptall-2 by the way. I still own the latter and use it occasionally with the NEX 7 and even (meterless) with the V1.

JacquesBalthazar's gear list:JacquesBalthazar's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow