Just dropped my new 5D3 :(

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dylthedog
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Re: War Wounds
In reply to Griffo59, May 22, 2012

Griffo59 wrote:

I find it incredible that it even left a dent, let alone a 'hole' in your laminate flooring.

I think I'd have to be living in a gingerbread house before this became an issue.

So you have a floor that obviously gives under pressure but at the same time does permanent damage to your camera.

Hmmm.

It landed on the tripod quick-release plate corner first, I know this because the shape of the dent in the floor is a perfect match to that - it left a gouge in the floor (about 3mm deep, 4-5mm triangle in shape). It then bounced and slid about 3 times,

Where it slid it took off he textured finish and left a flat black area on the pentaprism, but only on the corner. On the back near the row of buttons the textured finish is marked but still in tact; it's colour has changed because I suspect it's collected some of the flooring along the way like sandpaper does in use.

I must say to many it would appear to be very superficial, only a section of the long edge of the pentaprism is very noticeable and I'm sure many wouldn't bother getting it fixed.

Dropping a 1.6kg weight with sharp corners from 1.2-1.4m height would leave a gouge in most domestic laminate I suspect (mine is over 10 years old, too) and the damage to the camera is very minimal and at no point have I suggested otherwise, it's just that I am quite particular about my gear.

Watching it drop and bounce the way it did, its done pretty much what I would have expected tbh and I'm sure many pros (and less particular types) would have just picked it up, given it a wipe and clicked the shutter to see if it still worked and carried on.

Sorry if my generic terms like 'hole' over-dramatised things; that was not my intention. Nor was it intention to make it sound like the camera isn't well made.

My post was really just about the horror of dropping a new camera and new lens which I'm sure many here would feel as well. Wanting to get such a trivial few marks fixed is my issue

Your final 'hmmm' suggests you find something bogus about my comments, so I've fully explained what happened, take it or leave it.

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow