WHAT is so great about the D7000

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
jeangenie
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: WHAT is so great about the D7000
In reply to nfpotter, May 22, 2012

I know this was a few pages ago, and somebody already got my back (thanks!), but I still think I ought to reply.

nfpotter wrote:

jeangenie wrote:

To answer the OP's original question:

The D7000 is awesome because it has the best autofocus of any camera for the price, and is the only 'traditional' SLR in that price range from 'the big three' that is fully weather-sealed, and is at least somewhat metal. It is also better at high ISOs than any other camera in that price range, although other models are very close. I wouldn't say that these features make it the 'best' camera at it's price point, but it does make it far and away the most reliable.

When I got my D7000, I had a problem with my Nikon 70-200 VR - it just wasn't sharp. It turns out all my cheaper lenses were fine, and that lens was fine on a friend's D7000. But apparently the way that particular lens was built just didn't jive with that particular camera; it's all sorted out now.

As far as using manual mode ... you don't need to. There are a LOT of people that think using 'more advanced' modes mean that they are using their camera 'better', and that makes them better photographers. This is not true, but if it makes them feel better about themselves I'm not going to try to take it from them. As a photographer of 20+ years, and now a photography professor, I use my camera almost entirely in Aperture mode, with very heavy use of the + - exposure dial. The fact is that the camera is much smarter than I'll ever be, so why reinvent the wheel?

You should know how your various settings work. You should know for instance that your 18-200 is the sharpest at around f/8-f/16. But the reason you should know this isn't because you need to do the math yourself - it's so that you can understand what the camera is doing if it picks the wrong setting.

As a "photography professor", I would be quite surprised if you didn't want to control AP and SS at the same time. Also, you shouldn't be telling people their lens is "sharpest" at f/16 on digital - you know, that little thing called diffraction....

As a "photography professor" (thanks for the quotes, by the way), I happen to be gifted with the ability to read. This allows me to "understand" manufacturer's "info sheets," many of which "show" the maximum "resolution" of their variable-aperture lenses around f/8-f/11 on the wide end, and f/11-f/16 on the telephoto "end." This gift also allows me to see the little captions that come with test shots; the vast majority showing images taken in that aperture range. I wonder why?

As to diffraction, not every lenses encounters the same amount, nor does it occur equally under all conditions. My Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for instance, is less affected by diffraction than any other 35mm format lens I own, including those that cost much more. But then again, a sharper photo with some diffraction is better than a softer photo with no diffraction. Y'know, unless you're pixel peeping.

Since the camera is smarter than you, you should also probably let it teach your classes.

Yeah, I tried that. It turned into an online forum.

But hey, if you think the fact that my math is worse than a series of microprocessors built by a huge R&D team with massive funding and a half-century of experience makes me a poor teacher, then don't take my class.

Oh, and to the comment that the D7000 is not 'fully weather sealed' ... I don't know what Nikon's requirement for 'full' sealing is, but I do know that I got a beer spilled on it at a family barbecue, they tried to hose it off before I noticed, and it still works flawlessly. But with Pentax's announcement, that makes that a pretty moot point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow