Sony 16-50 vs. Tamron 17-50

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
garypaul1256
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 16-50 vs. Tamron 17-50
In reply to Dave Oddie, May 22, 2012

Have you had problems with your 1680? It seems that there are an awful lot of complaints about the plastic construction and it not hold up and not being the quality Zeiss is know for. If not, then that's great for you but, mine just took a poop.

Dave Oddie wrote:

I have read the Tamron has a weird focusing issue whereby the plane of focus differs between the centre and edges. This isn't just sharpness fall off to the edges but the fact you can focus the edge and get it sharp and the centre will be out of focus and the same the other way.

Regardless of that the Sony has the advantage of being weather sealed and uses Sony's best in-lens motor - the SSM mechanism.

I am not a fan of lenses that stop at 50mm at the long end myself and don't consider them being F2.8 to offer enough exta speed to give up a longer focal length at the long end (so I use the 16-80) but if I were in the market for a lens like this then the 16-50 Sony would get my cash.

garypaul1256's gear list:garypaul1256's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow