Memory cards for safari trip

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Drawn90
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Memory cards for safari trip
In reply to KathyN, May 21, 2012

I agree. I went to Tanzania on safari last November (a couple of days at each of several Tanzanian National Parks), and had six 16GB Class 10 cards for my D7k. I had to get creative with in-camera storage folder names to keep shots from Day 7 from getting mixed in with shots from Day 1. I was also downloading to a porrtable storage device every night, but I didn't touch the files theat were on each card until I could get back home and download them to a couple of different storage locations (one at home, one on-line).

If I had my trip to do over again (and I hope I get that chance!), I would only change a few things:
1. Buy enough cards so each day's shooting is on a separate card.

2. Take (buy or rent) a very long telephoto lens - I got some good shots with the Tamrom 70-300, but especially in Ngorongoro Crater, I could have used a 500mm lens

3. Get shots in Arusha and all of the villages we passed through - didn't shoot anything last November.

4. Shoot EVERYTHING - I came home with over 1500 shots from 11 days in-country and I still want more!

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and don't be bashful about asking your guide to move the vehicle 3 or 4 feet if you think it will help get better composition!

Consider a P&S for up-close stuff - if you're as lucky as my group was, you will have opportunities at 15 feet (or less!) from your vehicle!

Drawn90's gear list:Drawn90's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow