New review of Nikon J1

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
Re: A little unbalanced
In reply to Dave92F1, May 21, 2012

But I was (and still am) really frustrated at how much better it could be if only Nikon's firmware wasn't so poorly designed - in some cases, deliberately designed to make life hard for the user.

Dave, I think this sentiment has been described by some as Nikon making sure that the Nikon 1 does not encroach on DSLR sales. Having already decided to abandon my DSLR, I would have loved my 70 - 300mm on the FT-1 adapter to behave much as it did on the DSLR (in terms of response) - but it didn't, even in very good light, which made me wonder whether the FT-1 can use the phase detect advantages built into the Nikon 1 series.

I can't say that I understad the technical stuff, so I really don't know whether the FT-1 could have been firmwared to be more responsive and whether the decisions to stop things like continuous auto focus and multi point focus were deliberate steps to reduce capability or whether there were technical reasons that prevent it and that the Ft-1 is as good as it gets. Does anyone know?

Sony Nex have two adapters, the cheaper one (after firmware update) allows auto focussing if the lens is self motorised but apparently it is very slow and results in hunting and then they have another adaptor that is top dog with full SLT phase detect, turning the camera potentially into something like an A65 or A77.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow