Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364
Like?
Re: SLRGear: 12-35mm reviewed
In reply to Macx, May 21, 2012

Macx wrote:

Photohobbyfun wrote:

I am left wondering what Olympus's strategy will be in the future though. They've talked about "one beautiful system" and they've been releasing lots of primes lately, which definitely keeps with the whole "micro" part of the system.

A micro four-thirds version of the weathersealed 14-54/2.8-3.5 would in my opinion be fully competitive with the Pana 12-35/2.8 and might even be a little cheaper without the OIS. Giving away a stop to reach that much further isn't much of a disadvantage.

Well its 12mm vs. 14mm so while the Olympus has a longer reach, it also isn't as wide. The Panasonic lens looks like its very well balanced on the E-M5 but using the four thirds simulation website, the 14-54 Olympus lens looks significantly bigger.

Personally, I just don't think the Olympus four thirds lenses fit in well with the micro four thirds concept. Olympus went for ultimate optical quality at the cost of size. I think they should release an adapter capable of doing phase detection, like in the Sony NEX/Alpha line and just call it, "one beautiful system", and call it a day as well.

I'd like to see them work on new lenses that fit in with the micro four thirds concept, kudos to Panasonic for doing just that. Olympus is pumping out great primes but when they finish that, I'd like to see them pump out some great zooms as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow