ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eric_1
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Antarctica in February
May 21, 2012

Hi there!

I'm considering heading to Antarctica for a one-month photography and videography focused trip for the entire month of February, and am curious about a few things:

1) How is the weather in Feb? I understand the visiting season for Antarctica is only 5 months, and baby seals will be hatched out in Feb, but what can I expect regarding cloud cover? Is it completely variable, or can I expect at least some days being clear-skied or only partially cloudy?

2) What are your thoughts on a 4 week trip? Obviously this is subjective, but in your opinion , is 4 weeks too short, too long, or just the right time to spend exploring and photographing Antarctica? I'm not looking for a definitive answer here; I'd just love to understand what things you'd be thinking about if you were making this decision.

About me: I'm an amateur but highly enthusiastic photographer, and I see photography as a life-long hobby for which I am willing to expend significant time effort and money. I plan 80% of my travel around photography, and I am excited about the idea of spending a month dedicated to shooting. So, the question here is if you had a month to shoot in exotic locations, would you spend it all in Antarctica, or split it among multiple exotic locations.

3) How would you prepare for an adventure like this? My current plan is to go on several 2-3-day photography trips to snowy locations this winter to practice everything from using my equipment to composing in snow.

Thanks in advance for your shared knowledge & wisdom!
Eric

Eric_1's gear list:Eric_1's gear list
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow