Lancaster and a couple of Spitfires.

Started May 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
essH
Contributing MemberPosts: 791
Like?
Re: Lancaster and a couple of Spitfires.
In reply to welshwizard, May 21, 2012

welshwizard wrote:

essH wrote:

Here's that same Lancaster in flight today for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee flypast - accompanied by four spitfires, all provided by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Photos taken on an overcast day with a K-m and a DA 55-300; the approach shot was at 230mm; the overhead silhouette at 62.5mm.
--
Simon

You must have been in Windsor itself Simon - I didn't see another K-5/55-300 while I was there and was waiting on the Long Walk, only to discover that the fly past flew to the east of the line of the trees....Not happy.

Interesting guess, but no cigar. I was actually several miles away - standing on the top level of the Waitrose car park high above Rickmansworth station. The BBMF flight and the Red Arrows were tasked to do a flypast of the Rickmansworth Festival after they left Windsor and they came pretty much right overhead.

Oh, and I don't have a K-5 (it's a K-m).

Just to show how tricky it was to see the aircraft - here's a little anecdote. If you look at one of my flickr series, you'll see part of the main flypast formation (I think it was the Tucanos doing the "60" figure) crossing over the top of the BBMF flight as it turned towards us. It's not a good photo, but it's there to show the person who tipped me off about the flypast route. He was waiting in Chesham and, like me, didn't see the transports that must have swung west just after leaving Windsor - he saw the Hawks and Tucanos much better than I did, but he missed the planes that came my way.

I nearly went to the Long Walk, because I'd been told they'd use that as the aiming line - but glad I didn't as I, too, would have missed the best view (plus I had a booking later that I had to get to somewhat further North).

-- hide signature --

Simon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow