Having Trouble Finding a Travel Zoom

Started May 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Too Fussy: you want a camera that isn't a travel zoom
In reply to ianp5a, May 21, 2012

A travel zoom is designed for unrehearsed "street shots" or casually composed pictures for which manual controls are impractical or irksome. The manual controls you want would be very difficult to set up on a touch screen, which would be very hard to see outdoors anyway, or require big knobs that defy compactness. The point of a travel zoom is that it fit in your pocket and be quick to use on the spur of the moment.

The various competing travel zooms now offer comparable smart automatic or effects modes. The special low light modes that use high ISO and / or multiple shots that are blended together are quite useful, even if they don't please the pixel peeper. A semi-sharp shot with a bit of NR is better than the alternative: blur or no shot at all.

There are fancy wrist watches that contain a kazillion tools, baubles, and moving hands, but they are for show. A pocket zoom packed with manual video controls might inspire conversation among cogniscenti, but be useless or mind-fogging to 95% to the owners and go unused by the other 5%.

In fact, some pocket zooms have gotten worse precisely because they get crammed with too many trick modes that seem to slow the response time and make the menus a labyrinth.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow