Any comment about the Pentax K5 and the Pentax 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR?

Started May 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
Re: Any comment about the Pentax K5 and the Pentax 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR?
In reply to Model Mike, May 21, 2012

Model Mike wrote:

Sgt_Strider wrote:

However, as long as it's more than good enough to print 8x10" prints then I'm happy. Can anyone here comment on the K5 and 18-135mm WR setup as a travel camera combo?

Yep, it's a great outdoor activity lens. The 18-135 plus DA21 or DA40 make a very nice small kit for general travel.

Don't too much notice of any negative comment in the lab reports, because a lens of this type is never used in lab conditions. These days, any piece of glass short of a beer bottle will give you good 8x10's, especially if you stop down a bit. What matters more is actually having the camera round your neck at the right time.

Exactly!

As for the value of sealed primes, i do see the catch: I usually use primes and change lens all the time. The thing is, while i'm changing lens, neither camera nor lens are sealed... So if i had a sealed lens, it would need to be a zoom...

135mm is a very nice length on APS-c, bringing the subject close, and still easy to keep steady. And obviously a 18-135 requires fewer compromises than a 18-200. As for IQ, from the pics i've seen here (i don't have it) the 18-135 looks much better than what the reviewers suggest.

I'd pair it with a fast prime and/or a macro. Maybe the 35 ltd?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow