What is your pocketable camera?

Started May 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765Gear list
Like?
Panasonic ts20
In reply to Tony Tomlin, May 21, 2012

Probably soon to be the Oly TG-1

I think when looking at pocket cameras, or when I look at a pocket camera, I look for a truly "pocketable" camera. A go anywhere, anytime, not on a belt pouch, not in a bag, has to be tough because it has to go anywhere, the smaller the better, IQ can't be the definable characteristic because it's a "Pocket" camera, ...type of camera. The best camera in the world is the one you have with you camera.

Yes, the EPM-1, the GF3, the XZ-1, the S100 have better IQ, but they can't go to as many places as the ts20 or any of the tough waterproof types can. I can take my ts20 to the beach, to the bar, give it other people and not worry because it was so cheap, throw it around, get it wet, have peace of mind. Truly a pocketable take anywhere camera. Captures memories just as good and often times better than my Nikon SLRs.

I don't know ...I see a lot of response mentioning bags, around the neck, on a strap, m4/3 systems that can go anywhere. Well, m/43 cameras can't go everywhere, not without some kind of waterproof case. Around the neck isn't a pocket, neither is "in a small bag". I think you have to ask yourself do you really want a "pocketable take anywhere camera" or a small camera that you can take to most places? Are you looking for IQ or memories? Would you rather have a photo with decent IQ or no photo at all?

...case(s) in point - if your thinking about the distortion, IQ, sharpness, etc, when looking at these, a "pocket" camera isn't for you - for me, it's about the memories, not the technicals when choosing a pocket camera. If your going to be worrying about whats in your pocket the whole time your carrying it, rethink your decision, if your worried about ruining whats in your pocket because of the money, you spent too much money it:

Tony Tomlin wrote:

This may not be the appropriate forum to ask about cameras other than 4/3 but I have come to feel comfortable with the "intelligence" drifting through these threads.

I have also, with help here, become quite comfortable with my E-PL2 but my second snap shooter, an old Canon SD700IS is a bit long in the tooth so I started to look at a replacement.

I toyed with the Olympus XZ-1 but was surpried by how large it is. I handled a Canon S100 and was quite impressed with the mini-size and I aslo looked at the Panny LX5. Then I wonderd if stretching dollarwise to an EPM-1 to use my three lenses and accaisionally the VF2 (I am assuming the panny 20mm would make it carryable), would make sense.
What other folks take along every day, or do you all you IPhones?

-- hide signature --

Tony

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoneNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow